Download our November Events Flyer by clicking HERE.
- This event has passed.
Virtual: Ask the Experts Symposium: Pain Management, Nutrition and Exercise
Wednesday, November 11, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm CST
For November’s Pancreatic Awareness Month, the Cancer Wellness Center has partnered with Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation to bring you a special panel of experts.
Program will feature: Dr. Leslie Mendoza Temple, Medical Director, Integrative Medicine Program, NorthShore University HealthSystem; Lori Bumbaco, MS, RDN, CSO, LDN, Oncology Dietitian; Barbara Shapiro, CPT, CES, The National Academy of Sports Medicine
Get your questions ready and tune in to hear about:
Pain can have a major impact for those with pancreatic cancer since the cancer often affects the nerves around the pancreas. Dr. Leslie Mendoza Temple, Medical Director, Integrative Medicine Program, NorthShore University HealthSystem, will share insights on how to best keep pain under control. She’ll discuss:
- How Integrative therapies can promote wellness and reduce side effects from pancreatic cancer treatments.
- Why medical cannabis may or may not fit in with a treatment regimen.
- Strategies to improve immune function in light of COVID and flu season upon us.
From the beginning of diagnosis, choosing nutritious food plays a vital role to foster wellbeing during treatment. Lori Bumbaco, Oncology Dietitian, at Cancer Wellness Center, will talk about the nourishing essentials for cancer treatment. Proper nutrition can minimize the impact of side effects, support optimal immune function, and foster recovery from treatment. Lori will review:
- Essential tips for survivors to harness the nourishing potential of food.
- Hot topics in cancer nutrition.
- How to gain confidence to empower your healthy eating habits.
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, exercising when you have cancer can have great benefits to your mental and physical health. The key is to develop a regime that works best for you and your body. Barbara Shapiro, a certified personal trainer at The National Academy of Sports Medicine and a cancer exercise specialist, will provide practical tips on:
- Cancer-related fatigue.
- How to manage fatigue through exercise.
- Types of exercises that work for a variety of abilities.