Written by CWC Development Staff
Everyone can make a difference. Even everyday activities or milestone celebrations can be turned into ways to make a positive social impact. Here are some ideas to help get you started.
Before we start fundraising, it is important to know why we should. By creating your own fundraiser, you raise awareness about social causes and organizations that are meaningful to you. Other important reasons may be to:
- Make a difference in the local community
- Spread cheer during the quarantine
- Brighten someone’s day
- Inspire someone else to be creative and think outside the box
- Engage your friends/teachers/students
- Start a project with a lasting impact
- Spend quality family time
It is through the generosity of donors that non-profit organizations like the Cancer Wellness Center are able to offer programs and services to participants, free of charge.
Through the years, many Center supporters have created their own unique fundraising events. Here are some ideas for hosting your own event:
- Personal Celebrations: This can include a birthday, anniversary, or any other occasion for people to support you. This gives those close to you a way to support you, while also supporting a cause that means a lot to you.
- Mitzvah Projects: Mitzvah projects are very meaningful to all those involved in the celebration. By supporting the Center through a mitzvah project, youth can take part in a social action project and share its impact on those they have chosen to support.
- Honoring or Remembering a Loved One: Tribute cards or memorials are a meaningful way to commemorate special occasions or memorialize a loved one. Through these, not only is awareness spread about the Center, but also about your special loved one.
- Dog Walking: Looking to get out of the house, social distance, and make an impact? Dog walking is a great way to accomplish all three. By charging per walk as a donation to the Center, this makes it easier for pet owners to use your services and support those affected by cancer. You can let people know in your neighborhood or area by spreading the word and sharing the information on social media.
- Host a Tournament: A great way to get together with friends and get the competitiveness going is by hosting a tournament. Whether it be cornhole, 3 on 3 basketball, darts, or other leisure activities, creating a tournament to support the Center is one of the most fun ways to fundraise.
- Dining Out: Did you know that you can raise money by inviting your friends out to eat? When you collaborate with a local restaurant, you can raise a portion of the night’s proceeds for your cause. Many restaurants offer programs to help local organizations raise money. All you have to do is get in touch with the manager of the restaurant in your area. Once you’ve settled all the details of the event, invite your friends, family, and community members to come and show their support. The more people that attend, the more money you can raise for your cause.
Events in Action
For almost any of the events mentioned, one of the easiest ways to communicate event details and collect donations from friends and family is to create a Facebook Fundraiser.
- Facebook Fundraiser: All you have to do is create the fundraiser from your Facebook page, share it with your Facebook community, and let them do the rest. Just remember to select the Center as your non-profit to support and share away!
We could not offer the services we do without the help of those that help us fundraise and spread the word about the Center.